musings on wanting to fly

I am sad that my week long vacation at home is over.

20120905-164119.jpgI am not sad that Labor Day came and went marking the unofficial end of summer. I have to say I think I had it right with my first sport. Escaping the summer heat by spending many hours in the ice rink is much more enjoyable than summer running. Unless of course you are in San Francisco where you can pull of a great marathon despite resembling a turtle all summer back at home on the east coast. That, on the other hand, is very enjoyable.

However, it was also a totally unique situation with no pressure at any point. I am going to have to figure out how to artificially duplicate that situation in my mind for my next marathon, because on an easier course and without running a 70 mile week including a hard 20 miler the week before I should physically be able to do better. Oh yes, I am also training. That would be the traditional way people improve too.

I found this great saying on a magnet by chicalookate in the Ann Arbor Artisans Market.

I want to fly.

I am not sure I believe I will be able to fly yet. I still have not committed to the race. I am hoping some cooler temperatures soon will boost my confidence a bit. Maybe I will have better luck with the official end of summer bringing better weather?

How do you keep your mind from getting in your way? Please share your secrets with me!!

About these ads
This entry was posted in running, training and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to musings on wanting to fly

1. shelby says:

I wish I had an answer. I\’ve pretty much given up on summer running because it\’s just too miserable. I\’ve gotta think that if you can train hard and PR though the heat and misery, you\’re only setting yourself up to improve with better weather.

Also…your cats are cute. :)

2. Dave says:

OMG, love the bridge photo!!!

Strong marathons take the right confluence of factors. It’s actually beyond our control which is what makes it all such a thrill when things line up. You can force a PR only up to a certain point. Beyond that, it has to come to you instead of you to it.

3. Jocelyn says:

LOVE THE NEW BLOG LAYOUT!! Also I’m super excited you are back to blogging!

4. believe in yourself and believe in your training (that helped me BQ) but i ran a 10-mile PR in may by not giving a shit…so i could go both ways, i guess!

i LOVE your blog header, of course :)

5. Kelly says:

I wish I knew too! Sometimes my old gymnastics coach’s advice “don’t think, just go” is pretty useful though. Next week is supposed to be a lot cooler! Can’t wait. Also, I miss you!

6. Claire says:

i agree – it’s really a toss up between not caring at all and being really strategical and determined. sometimes all the pressure i put on myself backfires, and other times it gets me fired up. usually what really gets me going though is remembering a race where i gave up on myself and how disappointed i felt at the finish, when i know i could’ve pushed harder – or remembering a race where i was really struggling and managed to overcome it and succeed, and how incredible that felt. i also count to 12, the rhythm of it keeps me from having bad thoughts. but i think drawing on past experiences really does help. you know you can do it again because you have done it before – and you know exactly how it feels to fail and how much you don’t want to feel that way again, if you can help it.

7. meggie says:

being far too busy with school. then im too tired to care and that is when some of my best races come (eg: SF 5K? who knew?!). a lot of times if I feel like I am putting too much pressure on myself, i remind myself that each race is just a snapshot in time. if i ran a 5k each weekend (assuming all other factors equal and recovered etc), results would probably be vastly different. good training should portend good racing. however, some days just don’t line up with your training and other times you blow yourself out of the water. i just think if you step to the line (or like far far far behind like we usually are) open to opportunity and having set yourself up with good training, you have given yourself a window for success. many things have to align to be able to jump through that window and capitalize on the opportunity you’ve given yourself. sometimes its your week, sometimes its not. you can control giving yourself the opportunity for success and then just maintain an open and positive mindset during and after racing.

of course, i write this as if it is so easy. its not. but, i always remind myself it is just ONE day. doesn’t say anything about tomorrow or yesterday. take it like that. and get way too busy with other things, too! then you’ll be too tired to care about any of it and be excited to not be working!